Our family finds scripture memory very important. But we also have a terrible time remembering to practice. Thinking this may go back to our family not having a real schedule (see this post: Schedules or NOT).
My children know lots of scriptures and can recite many Biblical things like:
- The 10 Commandments
- The Lords Prayer
- The Books of the Bible
- The Fruits of the Spirit
- The 23rd Psalm
They can usually tell if a scripture is in the Bible if you quote it. But they most likely can’t give you the “street address”, like Luke 10:24. There are some verses they can to that for, like Luke 10:24, for example. They have heard Ray Comfort say this verse so many times on the “Hells’ Best Kept Secret” cd. When I first heard this title I though that there was no way that was ever getting heard by my children. But, I was wrong, it is an amazing message of salvation and how we can witness to others.
What we have found with our children is that what they here again and again they remember. If my children listen to a certain song again and again they will memorize not only the words, but the tone of voice, and the tune of the song. So, we have chosen to have them listen to a lot of scripture.
Some tapes and cd’s we have used over the years are:
- Go To The Ant by Judy Rogers (you can listen to some of the songs here)
- The Donut Man (you can listen to some of his songs here)
- Change My Heart Oh God
- Songs from the Beginners Bible (you can listen to some of the songs here, an affiliate link)
- There are so many more
Other ways we have tried:
- Books Like: My ABC Bible Verses (affiliate link)
- Curriculum: Bible Study Guide for All Ages
- Wall Charts: The Ten Commandments for Kids Chart (affiliate link)
- Card Filing System: Here is an example.
- Computer Programs and Apps
- Bible Games: Apples to Apples Bible Ed and Bible Trivia Game (affiliate links)
Over the years we have used many different ways to hide the scriptures in our children’s hearts. But music seems to be a very easy way for my children to memorize anything.
How does your family accomplish scripture memory?