What is a sword drill?
- Collect a group of kids or adults
- They all need Bibles
- Have them all start with their Bibles closed between their hands
- Call out a verse and repeat it
- Say “Go”
- The first one to look it up and read it wins
- It is that simple
Why use sword drills?
Sword drills are great to help children and adults learn where a book of the Bible is in that big book of God’s word. Practicing sword drills is fun and a treat when used to help and not criticize those who are slower.
How to use sword drills.
- Have a bigger kid pair up with a younger child to help them get to the verse first
- You know your kids… challenge your two best students to a sword drill and have the winner get a prize
- For younger children I sometimes just call out a book of the Bible not a verse
- When a child is just learning the books of the New Testament for example I will only call out New Testament book for him
Do sword drills work to help in memorizing addresses of scripture?
Yes, we have found that it is a useful tool to reinforce their knowledge of where in the Bible a verse is. Every once in a while a child will say to me, “I remember looking that one up in the race.”
Want some already made up sword drills to try?